Monday, October 11, 2010

"3 New Things" Also Known As: WWLGD?



My current roommates are fans of the Lady Gaga. As a direct result there is a large poster of her mounted on our brick wall, quite possibly where a mantel would be if we had a fireplace. So, instead of a friendly family portrait or maybe a clock, there is the LG.
Now, for those of you who don't know me, I spend a very large amount of time in the living room. And she is always out there, watching me muddle my way through Deaf Culture questions, seeing me attempting to color coordinate script beats, probably laughing as I trip trying to get to the power cord before my macbook shuts down. She's always there, in her shiny mirror mosaic mask, her pirate head-covering and her stiletto shoes that (in all honesty) would probably kill me if I even contemplated wearing them.
It wasn't so bad when we had the Audrey Hepburn pop art up on the wall too, nestled above the TV, because, well, first of all, I can see her whole face:
And anyways, Holly Golightly never struck me as someone I would feel alienated by if I met her on the street. She's got too much of her own stuff to deal with to put that much thought into ignoring someone, ya' know? Ask yourself what Holly Golightly would do in a tough situation, and the answer is almost always, go eat food and look at diamonds. And, though I'm more of a dinner/books gal myself, I do support the whole comfort food/comfort item route. It agrees with me. But one night, Audrey fell off the wall, split her frame in half, and has taken refuge in the other bedroom. So I don't get to see her much at all anymore.

But LG is still on the wall. Still lurk'n by the pool in her black spandex. And I have no clue what kind of things she would do in a tough spot. If I asked her for advice, I have no idea what her response would be. But I doubt it would involve comfort food or a store like Tiffany's.


Now, me myself, I'm not a fan of the LG.
I'm not even very learned in the subject of this pop phenomenon.

This is how my timeline of Lady Gaga knowledge goes:
(In events and friend quotes...)

April 2008- "Just Dance" is released... Meh, ok, I'll listen to you when I drive.
August 2009- Lady Gaga is a man? Maybe? Not sure.
December 2009- "Only hipsters listen to Lady Gaga"
September 2010- "LADY GAGA IS IN A MEAT SUIT!!!! AND WE LOVE HER! =D!"

Looking back, I'm not really sure how we got from "Just Dance" to a famous suit of meat, but that just illustrates the changing trends of society.

Now, please don't get me wrong, I'm not uber dissing on LG. I don't know her or her work well enough to make judgements, embrace, or diss her. But now that she's on the wall mantel spot... seeing me and my doofy life, I felt like, I need to know a little bit about her.

I used this post to learn 3 new things about LG.

To begin my search, I did what every young person does when they are on a quest for information and out of Cha-Cha questions, I googled. I googled hard and fast. Actually, I didn't google very hard, I just typed "La" before the search guesser had "Lady Gaga" as the first suggestion. Learning things already!

3 New Things I Know About Lady Gaga:
1. Popular, with a capital 'Pop'
2.
3.

I see her official website advertised on Google and BA-BLAM, I click my way in, hopeful for knowledge.

This is what I get:


3 New Things I Know About Lady Gaga:
1. Popular, with a capital 'Pop'
2. Does not do requests
3.

The next website on the list was that of her Twitter Account. Oh man, nothing says internal workings like a Twitter page!
First thing I notice, 506 tweets. Whoa.
Second thing I notice, many references to 'little monsters'. WHOA.

Maybe it's just me, but that movie always just struck a weird chord.

3 New Things I Know About Lady Gaga:
1. Popular, with a capital 'Pop'
2. Does not do requests
3. Devoted fan of Fred Savage and/or Howie Mandel


Despite the randomness of my list, I considered this venture a success.

Because now I've got a bit of my own dirt on Lady Gaga, her stare doesn't creep me out. Well, it still creeps me out a little, but I feel less like I'm being spied on by a stranger. It's more like the eccentric neighbor acquaintance across the street happens to be looking at me through my living room window all the time, but I know she has an obsession with car mufflers so we're square. That's sort of an improvement... right?

I can ask, "What would Lady Gaga do?" and be about 3 steps closer to the right answer.

(Or, at least, know that the answer will be popular, not what you requested, and have something to do with Fred Savage...and/or Howie Mandel.)




One last thing:






-L



2 comments:

  1. Three things I know about Lady Gaga:

    Firstly: A boy I went to middle school with is one of her dancers. This is bizarre because he was so normal in eighth grade. I mean, did he even dance? Not to my knowledge, and we were totally in the same friend circle and everything (i.e. I totally would have known).

    Secondly: Armadillo shoes. Make me want to die, just to get away from them.

    Thirdly: My reaction to the meat suit went like this: "Are you kidding me? That's the most disgusting thing I've ever heard." Which kind of encapsulates my entire opinion of Lady Gaga.

    I would not do well with her picture on my wall. You are a stronger woman than I.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, the Little Monsters thing is understandable.

    EVERYONE loves that movie. It inspired me to write my blog

    ReplyDelete